header for the site

Kobrin

Kobrin gerb



That is a town in the Brest Region (oblast), the capital of the Kobryn District (Rayon). The town is located in the southwestern part of Belarus where the Mukhavets River and the Dnieper-Bug Canal meet, about 52 km east of the city of Brest along highway "Brest- Moscow". It is a station on the Brest - Gomel railway line. As of 1995, the population was around 51 thousand.

Historic background


It was first mentioned  in the old Russian chronicles in the late 13th century. That was a favorable place at the start of portage that finished near Pinsk, as the boats full of merchandise were dragged overland from the Mukhavets River to the Pina River to reach Pinsk, about 90 km east of Kobrin.  That was an important trading route between the Baltic Sea and Black see in those days.

Soon afterwards, in the early 14th century the town was subdued by the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Between 1589 and 1766 it was a thriving market and a free town of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth open for all the tradesmen coming from many countries, including Jews. A road from Brest to Pinsk and further on to Minsk was running across the town, its hub that was the marketplace. Hence the old names of the streets on this way: Brest Street before the market place and Pinsker Street after it.

Kobrin Today


In 2009 the old town underwent reconstruction to host the National Harvest Festival (dozhynki).

The pictures below were taken in 2005-2008, before the reconstruction.

Kobrin

Lenin Square
Kobrin

Zamkovaya Square

the name indicates that once it was in the former upper castle
Kobrin

This Orthodox Church is named after saint Alexander Nevsky
Kobrin

181812 War memorial commemorates a Russian victory over Napoleon's troops by Kobrin
Kobrin

Orthodox Church by the river

Kobrin Kobrin

LeLenin Street (former Market Square)
Kobrin

the Baptist Church of Kobrin viewed across the river.
 
Kobrin Kobrin

The old part of the town (near Oktyabrskaya Str.)

Kobrin

A. Suvorov museum

Kobrin

A.Suvorov

Kobrin

the new building of the Museum
Kobrin

the former market square (right) and the road leading up to the bridge (left)
Kobrin

planters a la Kobrin!
Kobrin

Svobody Square with the memorial commemorating the 40th anniversary of the town's liberation in Yuly 1944.

 
   
  Kobrin

in the old park of the town in spring

 
Kobrin

the lake with the island
Views in Pervomayskaya (First of May) Street (former Pinsker Street) (3 Maja - Polish name) starting from Svobody (former Market) Square
     
Kobrin

the former market close to the bridge.

Here the street starts.

 

 
Kobrin

the east side runs parallel to the River
Kobrin

an old mansion on the southern side.
Kobrin

in front is the Kobrinka River, that is not easy to spot today, because it is flowing under the road in the pipe. This view (below) in the inter-war period.

Pinsker Street, Kobryn
Kobrin

the old building of the Great Synagogue of Kobrin.
Kobrin

on the northern side
Kobrin

the Catholic Church on the southern side
Kobrin

the grave yard of the Catholic Church

 
Kobrin

Puganov War Memorial on the western side, across the street is the school built in Polish period and rebuilt in the Soviet period. Today it is high school No2.

Old and new canals merge quite close from the school.
 
    Kobrin

Here by Pinsker Str. the old and new canals merge.

Kobrin after the reconstruction

Links:


radzima.org

brest-belarus.org

Belarus Guide

A virtual tour of the city Kobrin

map of Kobrin at govorim.by


face